Photograph of the brick temple, east of the village of Para, known as the Durga Temple taken by Joseph David Beglar between 1872 and 1873. At that time Beglar wrote the following account of this temple, "…the bricks used measure more than 17 inches long by over 11 inches in width, and are all set in mud…so minutely was the carving done, that a space 1 inch square shows sculptured two tiny bells, their ropes, and the twist of the several strands of the ropes clearly made out…." The temple stands on a high plinth which was added to stop the temple from falling down. This fate has already befallen the mandapa, of which very little remains. At one point the interior of the temple was plastered however little of this remained when Beglar visited.
Image and text credit:
Copyright © The British Library Board
Thanks to Rare Book Society FB