The worship of Divine’s creation evoke motherly traits of tenderness, generosity and love. We may worship the Divine in any form we choose and God responds in kind. Lord Krishna says ‘In whatever form people relate to Me, I respond in the same form.’ The Gita teaches that we should worship the entire universe. Thus Sanatana Dharma prescribes several forms of worship. Gomata worship is one such form and is popular, then and now. More than praying, it is paying particular attention, care and concern as we would a mother. “Sarve devaah sthita dehe, sarva devamayeehi gaou” means that all the deities dwell in the body of a cow. Thus she is as holy as the deities. Anusasana Parva of the Mahabharata states how Gomata stands to be revered with her various elements.
1) Two Horns of the Cow The Creator 'Brahma'
2) The Head of the Cow The Deity 'Indra'
3) Forehead of the Cow The Deity 'Agni
4) Collar of the Cow The Deity 'Yama'
5) Brain of the Cow The Deity 'Moon'
6) Upper Jaw of the Cow The Highest world Dyuloka
7) Lower Jaw of the Cow The Earth
8) The Tongue The Lightening
9) The Teeth The Deity 'Marut'
10) The Throat The 'Revatee' Constellation
11) The Shoulder The 'Kritka' Constellation
12) Bones of the Shoulder The Summer Season
13) All the Organs of the Cow The Deity 'Vaayu'
14) The Heaven The World to which cow, belongs
15) The BackBone The Deity 'Rudra'
16) In the Chest The Eagle
17) Is the Power & Strength Of the Cow The Space
18) Hunch of the Cow The Sage Vrihashpati
19) In the Chest- bones The Stanza by the name of Vrihatee
20) The Back Angels & Fairies
21) Bones of the Ribs The Hostesses of the Angels & Fairies.
22) The Shoulders The Deity 'Varuna' and Friend
23) The Forelegs The Sage 'Tvashta & the sage 'Aryama'
24) The Hindlegs The Destroyer 'Lord Mahadeva'
25) The Backside of the Cow The wife of the Deity 'Indra'
26) The Tail The Deity 'Vaayu'
27) The Hairs of the Body The Sage 'Pawamana'
28) The Buttock The Caste 'Brahmin' & The caste'Kshatriya'
29) Lies in the Thighs The Strength of the Cow.
30) Bones of the Knees The Deity Sun and the Creator
31) The Calf of the Cow The Celestial Beings 'Gandharva'
32) In the Smaller Bones The Celestial Beings 'Apsara'
33) Hooves of the Cow The Mother of the Sun, God, 'Aditi'
34) In the Heart The Mind
35) In the Liver of the Cow The Intelligence
36) The Nerve By the Name Of 'Puritat' The Religious Vow 'Vrata'
37) The Belly The Hunger
38) In the Intestines Goddess Sarswati
39) In the internal part of the intestines The Mountains
40) In the Ovum The sorrow (Manyu)
41) In the sense Organs The Subjects & the People (Praja)
42) In the Ovary The River
43) In the Breasts The Deity 'Varuna'
44) In cells of the Breasts, The Thundering clouds
45) In the Skin The 'All-Pervasive power'
46) In the hairs of the Body of the cow The Various Medicines
47) The Anus The heavenly & Celestial Beings 'Devagana'
48) In the Intestine The Man
49) In the Stomach The Celestial being 'Yaksha'
50) In the Kidney The Anger
51) In the Blood The Demon 'Rakshasha'
52) The Appearance of The Cow The Constellation are
53) In the Stomach The Other living beings
54) Is the Grossness The sky
55) In the Bone-Marrow The Death
56) Is Like Fire The Posture while sitting
57) Is the Deity 'Ashwinee Kumar The posture while getting up
58) The Deity 'Indra' The Posture while standing and facing East
59) The Lord of Death 'Yamaraja' The Posture facing South
60) The Creator 'Brahma' The Posture while facing west
61) The Sun God The Posture while standing & facing North
62) The Deity Moon The Cow while Grazing
63) The Friend The Cow while looking
64) Pure Joy The Posture of the Cow while turning it back.
Yogi Ananda Saraswathi